Stars and Stripes Forever: Monday, August 23, 2010

Well, since I recently promised my followers that I'd post more leading up to the final chapter of this blog in October, I figured I'd better start my birthday week with a Monday afternoon post.

A couple of weeks ago a good friend introduced me to one of the best (and most patriotic) free activities you can do on a Tuesday or Friday night during the summers in D.C.: The Sunset Parade of the Marine Bugle Corp. If you haven't been, it's a wonderful - albeit a bit sticky - way to spend an evening with visiting family or friends...or, in my case, your 84-year old retired Naval officer grandfather.

You know, that circle of life, which I talked about before on this blog, sure is a funny thing. When I was a young girl, my grandparents did whatever they could to make outings together fun for my brother and me. And now, as they enter the twilight of their lives, it's me who is trying to so hard to provide fun experiences and happy memories for them.
Here's a sweet shot of me and Grandad following the Parade at the Iwo Jima memorial this past Tuesday evening.

Photo credit: Al Quaye. Thanks for capturing this moment!

1 comment: