Test Time: Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I just started the day with one of my least favorite pre-test rituals: Drinking a nice tall glass of barium. I have my inaugural mammogram (woohoo!) and my CT scan later this afternoon, which means no solid food until after the test (just green tea and water for me!)...and two more large containers of vanilla-flavored barium to go before it's showtime at Washington Radiology Associates.

In case you missed the announcement on Facebook and Twitter, there is some good news to share today: Fortunately, due to my diligence, my missing lab results were found at the end of last week. It took a trip to LabCorp and a couple more phone calls to determine that the idiots at LabCorp misspelled my name and the idiots in my doctor's office didn't put two and two together when they received four faxed pages of results with the name Jennifer MiGihon on them. Seriously?!? I think everyone needs a BIG lesson in THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX to figure out how lab work that was supposedly done well over a week ago could be missing.

Anyway, enough with my rant. The good news (I think) is that my labs all looked relatively good. My CA125 rose again to 14 (12.4 at last visit; 9 at the end of treatment) but it is still well below the acceptable level of 20. Also, my CMP (metabolic rate for liver and kidney function) and HE4 (I really don't know...another cancer antigen I think?) looked good too. So, in case you're wondering, I'm relatively optimistic as I head into today's tests. I really have no time to ponder what life would be like if the tests don't look good because, honestly, that scenario is just far too depressing for someone training for a triathlon and trying to lead a normal 33-year old life.

I should have the results from today's test by the end of the week so check back then for an update. Prayers, please!

4 comments: