Gym Rat, er, Whore?: Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm cheating on my gym right now and pretty soon I'm going to break-up with it. It's really sad because it's been a good gym to me but it's time we said goodbye. There's a new gym in town and while it hasn't really stolen my heart, it just makes so much sense to join in my head that I need to make the switch. Hopefully, if it doesn't work out with the new gym, my old gym will take me back. Regardless, I know I need to make the move. I'll get over my guilt soon enough...I think.

Okay, so here's the deal: My current gym, Energy Club, is super convenient to my house, is clean, has good equipment, great trainers, and offers Pilates reformer (at an additional cost) BUT it's about $80 per month plus the cost of Pilates reformer and/or training, which isn't cheap. As you know, I'm training for a sprint triathlon, which will be held next October, and since I SUCK at swimming, I really need to go to a gym that has a pool and certified swim instructors. And that's what my new gym, xSports, has got...plus, about 60,000 square feet more than Energy Club AND is half the cost. I mean, it's a no brainer, right? I shouldn't feel guilty, should I? But I still do. I think it's because I know that many others at my current gym are making the same switch and I'm not sure it will survive the mass exodus. In order to ease my guilt, I bought a package of small group Pilates reformer classes when I gave my thirty day notice to the gym. I know, pathetic right? But the Pilates really is helping rebuild my core so that's how I justified it.

I'll let you know how things go with the new gym...fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment