Just Do It: Wednesday, October 14, 2009


The tagline worked out pretty well for Nike so I'm following its message myself. As I mentioned before, I've decided to compete in the U.S. Women's Triathlon Series' sprint triathlon, which will take place in San Diego on October 14, 2010. The Ovarian Cancer Research Fund is the official charity of the U.S. Women's Triathlon Series so when my friend Jori, who lives in San Diego and has done this particular tri before, suggested we do it to celebrate the one year anniversary of the successful completion of my treatment, I was in! And others were too! So far, my cousin Heather, Krista, Jori, Jill, and perhaps one or two others are also planning to do it next fall.

Believe it or not, but I'm already starting to focus on training for the half mile swim in the San Diego Bay, the 12.5 mile bike, and the 5K run. The first step is rebuilding my surgery-ravaged core muscles with some Pilates reformer training. The next step is to sign up for swim lessons (no joke!) at the city's indoor pool. I think I'm going to tackle this in January. I know, it's kind of pathetic that I need swim lessons to better learn the freestyle stroke and proper breathing but I do. Then, next spring I need to get my friend Pete's extra bike from him so that I can start cycling on the roads. The running will be easy except for the fact that it's the last leg of the race and therefore, I will be exhausted by the time I start to run the 3.2 miles.
Here's the official site for the race, which includes a link to the race course. Check it out and let me know if you have any training tips. I'm all ears if you do! Oh, and just a heads up, there's fundraising for the race so I'll be hitting you up in the new year.

1 comment:

  1. Word on the street is that cool kids take swimming lessons!

    ReplyDelete