Circle of Life: Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Yesterday afternoon at about 4 p.m. my friend Melissa S. (remember, she is/was my patient advocate) successfully delivered her second son, John Warren, who is known right now as Baby Jay. Jay weighed in at 8 lbs. 14 ounces and measured 21 inches. He's a big boy who looks a lot like his adorable big brother (who turns two on Friday!) and is perfectly healthy. Congratulations to Melissa, Geoff, and Thomas on their new arrival...and to Jay, who is the newest member of a great family.

Unfortunately, not all of my news today is so happy. Toward the end of our walk with loaner dog this morning, my mother and I received yet another unpleasant reminder of the circle of life. It seems that my Great Aunt Patty, who is the matriarch (or, "auntriarch," as she never had children) of the Keller/Koch clan, had a massive stroke last night and is in the ICU on life support in a hospital close to where she lives in Pennsylvania. At press time, my Uncle George and grandmother are with her at the hospital waiting to get more information from her doctors before deciding on next steps.

I have a new appreciation for and acceptance of the circle of life after my experiences over the past year, during which I've met so many wonderful souls fighting not to be taken before their circle is complete. Given this, my prayer for Patty this morning is not necessarily for her to live (as she is almost 80-years old and has enjoyed a very full life) but rather for her to experience only peace and comfort and joy and love in whatever world she experiences from this day forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment