MENTALpause and Chemo Brain: Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Have you heard of these phenomena before? Well, if you haven't, I'm here to tell you that they really do exist. My usual steel-trap short-term memory is M.I.A. (Fortunately, the long-term memory is still in tact.) I already had a touch of A.D.D. before all of this cancer/chemo/menopause craziness but now it's so bad that I think I might need to be medicated. Also, my spelling and grammar skills have vanished before my very eyes. I can't remember how to spell simple words like "tiara," which I first spelled "tierra" on yesterday's blog post. Fortunately, shortly after I posted, Kristin's thank you note for LEW's birthday gift arrived, in which tiara was spelled correctly, so I quickly changed it.

While I don't know how long the MENTALpause will be around, I have read that the effects of chemo brain should lift within a year or so following my last treatment. Let's hope. Otherwise, I'll be dependent on Microsoft's spell check and thesaurus tool, as well as a whole (by the way, I've been incorrectly using "hole" and "whole" a bunch, too) host of other things for the rest of my life.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, no hot flashes yet but the night sweats have arrived and they are INTENSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment