Home, Sweet Home!: Monday, April 6, 2009

I ended up having to stay in the hospital just about five full days due to the fact that I had the surprise colon resection. I believe I sent some sort of an email update out once I got home to let everyone know what happened during my surgery but I don't have it in my files, so here's a quick recap:

  • Found spots on my colon and bladder; both spots removed and biopsied
  • Removed my left ovary and fallopian tube, which were necrotic (read: dead)
  • Removed my appendix, which also had a growth on it (otherwise known as an appendectomy)
  • Biopsied my right ovary and omentum, which is the fatty tissue covering the ovary area (I think)
  • Three pathologists and Dr. E were not able to confirm from the frozen sections that anything they removed during the surgery was definitely cancer, so my uterus and right ovary remained in me. One small victory! All I wanted going into the surgery was to wake up with some reproductive organs still inside of me. I wanted this, even knowing that it might mean a second surgery if they later came back as cancer.
It was so good to finally be home but the fun didn't last very long...

No comments:

Post a Comment