Below is the email I sent my core wellness team to let them know my proposed surgery date, assuming I decided to go with Dr. E after I finished all of my second opinion appointments the following week (week of March 23). As you'll read, I was concerned that some of my best friends were threatening to cancel spring break plans to be able to be here for my surgery. How ridiculous?!? Fortunately, I convinced them all to keep their plans!
Subject: Surgery is Scheduled
I just spoke with Dr. Elkas’ scheduler and found out that I will have surgery at Fairfax Hospital, assuming I go with Dr. Elkas, on Thursday, April 2 at 4 p.m., which means I will need to be at the hospital by 2:30 p.m. that afternoon. I have my pre-op appointment with Dr. Elkas next Friday, March 27 at 5 p.m. in Fairfax and they are faxing me an order so that I can get my blood work done next week as well.
My last day “in the office” will be Tuesday, March 31 so that I have all day Wednesday, April 1 to get organized for things. I am working with my bosses to create various transition plans so that things are covered while I’m out, whether for two weeks (best case) or the whole summer (worst case) or somewhere in between.
Feel free to share this information with people as you see fit. I will send another update to everyone on Thursday or Friday of next week but I’m sure some will ask you all before then. Oh, and for those of you who have spring break vacation plans beginning on/around Saturday, April 4, have a good trip! DO NOT think of changing your plans based on this news. I think that this works out well because I’ll be able to visit with you (you know who you are) on Friday before you leave. Frankly, I’ll probably be pretty immobile while you’re gone so it’ll be great to have you back Easter weekend when I might start to need more rides, help, etc.
I think that’s it for right now. Let me know if you have any questions.